Workshop On Area expansion of sunflower and sesame in non-traditional area (ZONE II)
ChairmanÂ Â : Dr K. S. Varaprasad, Director, IIOR
Co-Chairman: Dr S.K. Roy, Zonal Project Director i/c, ZPD, Zone II
Rapporteur: Dr. G.D. Satish Kumar, Senior Scientist, IIOR
Apropos to the Annual Group Meeting of AICRP, sunflower held at OUAT, Bhubaneshwar, a workshop was organized at ZPD, Zone II on 09.06. 2015. It was attended by KVK representatives from Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal. Dr. G.D. Satish Kumar presented the potential districts for the three states, yield potential of improved technologies and the Best Management Practices (BMPs) to be demonstrated in farmersâ€™ fields for area expansion. Dr. K.S. Varaprasad, Director, IIOR has elaborated on the commitments given to the PMO office regarding the area expansion of sunflower and sesame. Discussions were held on the modalities of demonstrations, seed requirement and budget. The following decisions were arrived:
- In Jharkhand, the demonstrations will be conducted on sesame, in Bihar it will on sunflower and in West Bengal it will be on sunflower and sesame.
- The KVKs are requested to prepare a status paper providing the details of oilseeds in general and sunflower and sesame perse, which will serve as baseline data.
- One training (two days) will be organized on oilseed production technologies for three states at ZPD, Kolkata in the last week of July for the extension workers of selected KVKs in collaboration with IIOR.
- The Director Extension of each state will conduct two training programmes of two days duration for extension officers, extension workders and input dealers.
- A multi location trial will be conducted in West Bengal by Nimpith Centre based on the requirements of the state. ZPD will coordinate the trial.
- The suitable cultivar of sunflower and sesame for each district identified by IIOR will be supplied to the respective states and districts. IIOR will bear the cost of seed.
- Funds will be transferred to ZPD, Kolkata and they in turn will release the funds to the KVKs as per the approved programme.
- The allotment of demonstrations is as per the details provided below:
|DRSH-1||Seed will be provided by IIOR|
|KVK, Chatra||20||Kharif 2015||GT-2||Rs. 5000/ha (total Rs.5,00,000) Seed will be provided by IIOR and amount will be deducted.|
|KVK, 24 North Paraganas||5||Rabi 2015-16||KBSH-41/KBSH-53||Only seed will be provided by IIOR|
|KVK, Dakshin Dinajpur||5|
|Hooghly||10||Summer 2015-16||GT-2||Only seed will be provided by IIOR|
The FLDs as decided during the Annual Group Meeting at OUAT, Bhubaneshwar will be conducted as per the technical programme. The details are provided below
|Allotment of FLDs and training programmes for 2015-16|
All the centres have to conduct demonstrations with the following best management practices.
|1||Selection of site||Select a site where sunflower was not grown previously 3 seasons, well drained soils|
|2||Initial soil fertility status||Analyze initial soil fertility status|
|3||Seed Hardening||Soaking the seeds in water for 12-14 hrs|
|4||Seed treatment||Imidaclorpid 6 g/kg; Metalaxyl 3 g/kg (Region II)|
|5||Biofertilizer||Azospirillum/Azatobacter + Phosphobacteria|
|6||Genotype||Latest released hybrid of the centre/region|
|7||Organics application||5 t/ha FYM/Compost|
|8||Seed rate & spacing||2 kg/acre; 60×30 cm|
|9||Integrated Weed Management||Pre-emergence application of Pendimethalin 1 kg a.i/haÂ Â Â Â Â Â one IC+HW at 30 DAS|
|10||Thinning & Maintaining optimum plant population||10-12 DAS retain one seedling/hill|
|11||Planting method||Ridge sowing in Vertisols
Flat sowing by earthingup
|11||Soil test based NPK+S+ limiting micronutrient||Based on STCR equations developed for the centre/region|
|12||Boron spray||0.2% Boron spray (borax ) at ray floret opening stage|
|13||Protective irrigations||Apply need based irrigations during critical stages|
|14||Plant protection||Adopt IPM based module (Pheromone traps; biopesticides)|
|15||Harvesting & Threshing||Mechanical threshers|
List of participants :
|SL.NO.||NAME||DESIGNATION||CONTACT NO.||EMAIL ID|
|7||Dr.Ashok Kumar||Simdega, Representative DEE Â BAU Ranchifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|8||Dr Sudipta Banarjee||Howrah, Representative DEE Â BCKVemail@example.com|
|9||Dr.Mithilesh Kr. Roy||Madhepura, Representative DEE Â BAU Bhagalpurfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|10||Dr.N.J.Maitra||Nimpith, KVK South 24 Pgsemail@example.com|
|11||S.K.Samui||Nimpith, KVK South 24 Pgsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|12||Dr.Shyamali Das||Bankura, WBCADC KVK||9433556880||Cadckvk@gmail.com|
|13||Mrs.SomaGiri||North 24 pgs. , Representative DEE Â WBUA FSemail@example.com|
|14||Dr Kiranmoy Barui||KVK Hoogly , Representative DEEBCKVfirstname.lastname@example.org|