Cluster frontline demonstration is a unique approach by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research on Oilseed and Pulse crops to provide a direct interface between scientists and farmers where farmers are guided by the KVK scientists during demonstrations in implementation of improved technologies like seed treatment, IPM, INM, land preparation etc . Demonstrated fields are regularly monitored by the scientists. Cluster Frontline Demonstration project started since 2015-16 under NFSM and NMOOP.
Oilseeds are important commodity crops after cereal as oilseeds add important nutritional value to human diet due to high quality protein with oil soluble vitamins like vitamin A. India is the largest producer of Oilseeds in the world. The bulk of vegetable oil production in India is derived from nine oilseeds; namely, Groundnut, Rapeseed-Mustard, Sesame, Safflower, Niger, Soybean, Sunflower, forming the edible group and Linseed and Castor, forming the non-edible group.
The main objective of Cluster Front-Line Demonstrations is to demonstrate newly released crop production and protection technologies and its management practices in the farmers’ field under different agro-climatic regions and farming situations. While demonstrating the technologies in the farmers’ field, the scientist to study the factors contributing higher crop production, field constraints of production and thereby generate production data and feedback information. The field demonstrations conducted under the close supervision of scientists of the KVKs because the technologies are demonstrated for the first time by the scientists themselves before being fed into the main extension system of the State Department of Agriculture.
Salient features of CFLD Oilseeds:
- Cluster Frontline Demonstrations are conducted under the close supervision of the scientists of the KVKs of ICAR Institute and State Agricultural Universities.
- Only newly released technologies or those likely to be released in near future are selected for the Cluster Front-Line Demonstrations.
- Only critical inputs are provided from the scheme budget, remaining inputs are supplied by the farmers themselves.
- Cluster Front-Line Demonstrations are used as a source of generating data on factors contributing higher crop yields and constraints of production under various farming situations.
Technological Interventions under CFLD Oilseeds
- Seed treatment: Seed treatmentrefers to the application of fungicide, insecticide, or a combination of both, to seedsso as to disinfect and disinfect them from seed-borne or soil-borne pathogenic organisms and storage insects. It also refers to the subjecting of seeds to solar energy exposure, immersion in conditioned water, etc.
In CFLD Oilseeds chemicals used for seed treatments are Trichoderma viridi, Bavistin,Propinophex, Carboxin, Thiram etc. For seed inoculation in Groundnut Rhizobium sp and Azotobactor are used.
- INM: Integrated Nutrient Management refers to the maintenance of soil fertility and of plant nutrient supply at an optimum level for sustaining the desired productivity through optimization of the benefits from all possible sources of organic, inorganic and biological components in an integrated manner. INM includes application of N, P, K along with micronutrients likeSulphur, Zinc and bio-fertilizers like PSB, PMB etc.
- IPM: Integrated pest management, also known as integrated pest control is a broad-based approach that integrates practices for economic control of pests. IPM aims to suppress pest populations below the economic injury level. Imidachlorprid, Thiomethoxan are used to control pest under CFLD Oilseeds.
- IWM: An integrated weed management may be defined as the combination of two or more weed-control methods at low input levels to reduce weed competition in a given cropping system below the economical threshold level. Application of Pre-emergence herbicides like Fluchloralin, Alchlor, Oxyfluorfen and Pendamethalin are effectively controlled weeds during CFLD.
- Line sowing: It is the dropping of seeds into the soil with the help of implement such as mogha, seed drill, seed-cum-ferti driller or mechanical seed drill and then the seeds are covered by wooden plank or harrow to have contact between seed & soil. This method helps to maintain the spacing between plants which helps in plant growth. Usually in Oilseeds cultivation 10x10cm spacing’s are useful.
There is a huge increase in high quality oilseeds production is observed due to CFLD on Oilseeds. The scientists have identified non conventional areas and seasons for promoting oilseed cultivation, with the availability of new technologies.
- During 2017-18 Groundnut, Sesame, Niger, Rapeseed & Mustard, Linseed & Sunflower were demonstrated under CFLD in 31 KVKs of Odisha and 17 KVKs West Bengal covering three seasons (Kharif, Rabi & Summer).
- It is observed that seed treatment with Carboxin and Thiram and inoculation with Rhizobium results 25-30 % yield enhancement.
- In Sesame IPM technology results higher production (32-35%).
- Niger yields better (30-35%) due to line sowing with spacing 10x10cm and using of high yielding variety like Utkal Niger -150.
- In Rapeseed & Mustard with the application of INM and IWM yield increased 35-40%.
- Linseed yields higher with application of PSB and Azotobactor.
- In Sunflower it is observed that application of Sulphur and Boron results 10-15% yield increase.
- CFLD Crops, Districts and Area coverage:
|Sl. No.||Crop||Odisha||West Bengal|
|1||Groundnut||Angul, Bargarh, Balasore, Boudh, Bolangir, Cuttack, Dhenkanal, Ganjam I, GanjamII, Gajapati, Jagatsinghpur, Jajpur, Kalahandi, kendrapara, Khordha, Koraput, Malkhangiri, Mayurbhanj I, Mayurbhanj II, Nayagarh, Nabarangapur, Nuapada, Puri, Rayagada, Sambalpur, Sonepur, Sundergarh I||1190||Burdwan, Hooghly, Howrah, Jalpaiguri, Murshidabad, Nadia, Purulia, Uttar Dinajpur, West Midnapore,||290|
|2||Rapeseed & Mustard||Balasore, Bargarh, Bhadrak, Boudh, Dhenkanal, Kandhamal, Keonjhar, Sambalpur, Sundergarh I||210||Burdwan, Birbhum, Coochbehar, Dakshin Dinajpur, Hooghly, Jalpaiguri, Malda, Murshidabad, Nadia, North 24 Pgs, Purulia, South 24 Pgs (Narendrapur), Uttar Dinajpur, West Midnapore, Malda additional||400|
|3||Sesame||Angul, Deogarh, Dhenkanal, Malkhangiri, Sambalpur, Sonepur, Ganjam II, Gajapati, Khordah, Rayagada,||260||Birbhum, Burdwan, Dakshin Dinajpur, Hooghly, Howrah, Jalpaiguri, Malda, Murshidabad, Nadia, North 24 Pgs., South 24 Pgs. (Nimpith), South 24 Pgs. (Narendrapur), Uttar Dinajpur, West Midnapore||420|
|4||Niger||Kalahandi and Kandhamal||40||–||–|
|5||Linseed||–||–||Birbhum, Malda, Murshidabad, Purulia, Uttar Dinajpur, West Midnapore||120|
|6||Sunflower||Bolangir, Boudh, Deogarh, Puri, Rayagada, Khordah||90||West Midnapore||20|
Target of CFLD Oilseeds 2018-19
- In 2018-19 total area sanctioned under CFLD Oilseeds is 2860 ha covering 30KVKs of Odisha and 19KVKs of West Bengal.
- Total Budget sanctioned during 2018-19 is Rs. 22841000.00