Proceedings of Review meeting on Creation of Seed-Hubs for Increasing Indigenous Production of Pulses in India for the KVKs of Odisha & West Bengal & Cereal System Initiative for South Asia (CSISA) for the KVKs of Odisha
In a view to assess the performance of the KVKs implementing seed hub programme & CSISA, a review meeting for KVKs of Odisha and West Bengal was conducted on 21st December 2018 at ICAR-CISH Malda under the Chairmanship of Dr S. S. Singh, Director, ICAR-ATARI, Kolkata in the presence of Dr S. Rajan, Director, ICAR-CISH Lucknow, DEE UBKV Dr. Prabhat Pal, Dr. Saiket Mukherjee, Deputy DEE, UBKV and other nodal officers of Seed Hubs of Zone V. The list of participants is annexed. The formal welcome address was delivered by Dr. D. Nayak, Senior Scientist, ICAR-CISH Malda KVK. Dr. S.K. Roy, Principal Scientist and Nodal Officer of Seed Hub & CSISA of Zone V, briefly reviewed the performance of 10 KVKs involved in seed hub programme including the issues related to expenditure statement, infrastructure development and installation of seed processing unit etc.
Dr. S.S. Singh, the Chairman of the programme, briefed about the objectives of the meeting emphasising the guidelines in which it should be conducted. All the participating KVKs presented the status of the infrastructure development and revolving fund of seed hubs and progress of CSISA project during 2017-18 either through PPT or orally.
The following action points came out during the day- long interaction session:
• KVK Cuttack presented the progress of the project. The Chairman suggested for observing the yield efficiency/kg/ha/day for all treatments of individual trials and incorporating system productivity, profitability and equivalent yield data.
• KVK Mayurbhanj I was absent in the meeting.
Seed Hub project:
• Tender process of seed storage go down is completed and work will commence from last week of December for KVK Cuttack. The Chairman stressed on the construction of infrastructure and installation of processing unit. (Action: Concerned KVK Nodal Officer Seed Hub ; Director, NRRI, Cuttack)
• KVK Narenderpur seed hub centre briefed the progress of their centre. The installation of processing plant is completed and expected to start by January 2019. They appraised about the difficulties of seed sale. The Chairman enquired for not constructing threshing floor & likely to visit to the centre by February 2019. (Action: Concerned KVK Nodal Officer Seed Hub )
• Seed Godown structure for Bargarh KVK is expected to complete by March 2019 as told by the nodal officer. The Chairman will be visiting Bargarh Seed Hub centre by April 2019. The Chairman suggested for all types of seed production, processing and commercialisation in all crops. As per proposal from KVK Bargarh, for the infrastructure of seed processing cum storage go down the roof top of storage structure may be kept flat instead of inclined for future utility purpose without any further financial burden. (Action: Concerned KVK Nodal Officer Seed Hub )
• For Seed Hub of KVK Bhadrak, Chairman suggested that all seed hub centre should produce seed according to the demand, take advance indent to avoid unsold seed, do exercise for seed sale and make chain in KVK implementing CFLD Pulses and state departments. He proposed to see/utilised seed hub centre as need based multi crop/
multi variety crop utilisation unit and as a business model. (Action: Concerned KVK Nodal Officer Seed Hub )
• CISH Malda Seed Hub centre briefed the house about seed production of six Lentil varieties and presented two success stories. The Chairman said farmer’s participatory seed production unit is coming up and recommended to introduced more varieties which are released within 10 year for better marketability and social. The Nodal Officer ensured the completion of seed storage go down and processing plant by March 2019. He also said the progressive farmer could avail the processing plant facilities. (Action: Concerned KVK Nodal Officer Seed Hub )
• The Nodal Officer of Uttar Dinajpur stressed on seed lifting policy. The Chairman recommended for not taking indent for old varieties and to break the chain of old varieties seed production. He proposed a meeting with state seed production agency and seed hubs separately for Odisha and West Bengal. (Action: Concerned KVK Nodal Officer Seed Hub and ICAR-ATARI Kolkata )
• By January 2019 the commencement of processing unit will start in KVK Kalahandi Seed Hub centre. The Chairman suggested for interface with other agencies for seed sale. He also said for adoption of other crops in seed production. (Action: Concerned KVK Nodal Officer Seed Hub)
• The progress of seed hub centre at KVK Mayurbhanj I was presented by Dr. Aurovinda Das, PC, KVK Bhadrak . The Chairman recommended using other pulses crop instead of single crop (green gram). (Action: Concerned KVK Nodal Officer Seed Hub)
• The Nodal Officer of Seed Hub at KVK Deogarh informed about the completion of infrastructure by March 2019 and the Chairman is likely to visit the same in April 2019. The Chairman appreciated for good presentation and recommended to adopt Shikha variety of green gram (Source: Dr. Aditya Pratap-9452060055, IIPR,Kanpur). (Action: Concerned KVK Nodal Officer Seed Hub)
• The Seed Hub at KVK Keonjhar presented the progress of infrastructure development and seed production. The Chairman suggested to utilise the unspent revolving fund for multiple crop seed production (Action: Concerned KVK Nodal Officer Seed Hub)
The meeting ended with formal vote of thanks.