Proceedings of Zonal Workshop of National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture (Technology Demonstration Component) held at Zonal Project Directorate, Kolkata on April 23-24, 2015
The Zonal workshop of National Initiative on Climate Resilient Agriculture (Technology Demonstration Component)was held at Zonal Project Directorate, Kolkata on 23-24th2015. The workshop was chaired by Dr A. K. Singh, Zonal Project Director, Zone II and attended by Dr H. S. Sen, Former Director of ICAR-CRIJAF, Barrackpore and Chairman of Zonal Monitoring Committee to NICRA-KVKs of Zone II, Dr. Y. G. Prasad, Project Coordinator, Dr. JNVS Prasad, Co- PI, NICRA-TDC and Dr. S. Kundu, Scientist, CRIDA, Hyderabad, all the scientists of the Zonal Project Directorate, Kolkata, and all the Programme Coordinators-cum-Principal Investigators of NICRA implementing KVK of Zone II. The workshop started with welcome address by Dr F. H. Rahman, Principal Scientist of the directorate.
Dr. A. K. Singh, Zonal Project Director while addressing the inaugural speech he presented a brief account of expectation from the KVKs of Zone II in implementing the project. He asked all the NICRA-KVKs to prepare case studies/success stories based on the most successful and scalable technologies conducted by the KVKs. He mentioned that the intervention under NICRA should read vulnerability with existing cropping practices and preventing this vulnerability through NICRA intervention is to be a priority. The aim with NICRA is to make ‘Climate Smart Village’. He emphasized to take up new interventions model which have direct bearing with the climate change. Dr Singh showed his concern about the timely submission of AUC and reports from all the KVKs.
Dr. H.S. Sen, Chairman of Zonal Monitoring Committee to NICRA-KVKs of Zone II showed his satisfaction on the performances of KVKsâ€™ activities which he visited various KVKs during the Zonal Monitoring Committee visits during last two years. He emphasized that the KVKs should focus on climatic vulnerability while taking up any intervention in the NICRA site. He proposed that CRIDA should take an initiative for providing district wise data on climate change effect mainly on rainfall, temperature, evaporation, soil moisture stress etc. upto the next two or three years. Each intervention should be planned in relation to the climatic vulnerability like drought, salinity, acidity, high rainfall, heat stress etc. Soil health aspects like physical, chemical and biological parameters should be addressed while planning to take any intervention.
Dr. Y. G. Prasad, Project Coordinator, NICRA-TDC, CRIDA, Hyderabad while addressing he informed that two more KVKs from this zone- KVK Godda and Banka were also included as per the approved XII Plan EFC of NICRA for implementing NICRA activities from this year. He also shared the information that NICRA has been renamed as â€˜National Innovations on Climate Resilient Agricultureâ€™. He emphasized on the following actionable points:
- NRM activities will be more during the coming months of 2015-16in every KVK
- Farmers wise and intervention wise data to be provided by every KVK
- Scientific data and good action photograph will be more than previous year.
- More focusing of the climate vulnerability
- Documentation of the successful intervention
- Need to improve of the performance of CHC and VCRMC
- Timely report on unseasonal rainfall and extreme events
- Well performing NICRA KVKs exchange their knowledge with other NICRA KVKs
- Contingency planning may be prepared to respond in time
- Orientation programme is to organize for new KVKs on Climate vulnerability, Nature of intervention, NRM, Crop, Livestock, Institutional intervention etc. at CRIDA, Hyderabad
- Action Plan for 2015-16 may be prepared in revised format and timely send to CRIDA for BE finalization
- Prioritization may be given in Non-recurring contingencies expenditure
- Village level contingency planning may be prepared and to report within 1st week of June
- Documentation like Success story may be prepared. Each KVK has to prepare at least two success stories and submit to the ZPD by 15th May 2015
- Best Report or Best presentation will be given to the KVK during the NICRA Review Workshop to be held in first week of June 2015
- ZPD may present NICRA-KVKs performance in the Annual NICRA Workshop
- ZPD may present KVKs activity in Annual NICRA workshop
- One CD published by FAO on climate smart agriculture will be provided to each KVK
Dr. J.N.V.S. Prasad, Co- PI, NICRA-TDC opined that the each and every intervention should be climate focused. IPCC reports may be consulted through internet while initiating any intervention. He enquired about whether all the KVKs are provided any weather station or not. Only Supaul KVK is not having such weather station and he remarked that with the two new KVKs like Godda and Banka, SupaulKVK will be provided the mini weather station.
Dr. S. Kundu Scientist, CRIDA, Hyderabad made one presentation on Village level C balance study through EX-ACT model where he has provided the templates for Data collection/proforma etc.
In the technical session all the Programme Coordinators/PIs of the KVKs have presented one by one their salient achievements during 2014-15 and the action plan for 2015-16.
Following proceedings came out during the technical session KVK wise which are mentioned below:
- Rainfall data be provided in the report
- Success stories on Sahbhagidhan and raised bed technologies demonstration will be prepared
- Loss of data on demonstration must be avoided
- Technology details of raised bed cultivation is to be provided
- Fodder and mineral mixture intervention may be undertaken for increasing yield
- Demonstration on Khaki Campbell duck to be undertaken for meat production purpose
- Convergence programme with other ongoing schemes may be undertaken
- Activities to be undertaken during 2015-16 should be prioritized
- Net amount of the proposed action plan to be calculated
- Most successful technologies may be taken in other villages situated in low lying areas where salinity problem is acute
- Demonstration on moongbean cultivation to be undertaken in place of sunflower on upgraded land area
- Telapia fish production to be initiated in saline water
- Ornamental bird rearing programmefor livelihood security may be documented as success story
- CHC implements may be procured as per the proposal in action plan
- Site specific trail on Zinc and Boron and demonstration in the field are to be undertaken
- In Soil health demonstration- one conventional practice is also conducted for comparison
- Sowing date of wheat cultivation need to be rectified
- One success story on potato demonstration against blight is to documented
- Demonstration to conducted taking recent variety of crops
- Priority basis related implements under CHC are to be proposed
- Pigeon pea cultivation to be done in the bunds
- Title of the training programme should be climate focussed
- Climate smart village to be documented
- More convergence programme to be initiated for making more number of wells
- Success story on â€˜wasteland converted to cultivable landâ€™ should be prepared
- totalcultivable land after starting of NICRA project may be studied
- Resource generation of villages should be increased through convergence programme
- Renovation of NRM activities should be prioritized
- Animal health camps organized should be with appropriate data.
- Discharge (%) of the WHS may be measured by simple calculation. Ground water recharge potential of the ponds evacuated/ renovated should be studied by measuring the water level of surrounding wells.
- If livestock based production system exists in the NICRA village and there is no Animal Scientist in the concerned KVK, SMS of Animal husbandry may be shared from other KVKs.
- Documentation of staggered community nursery is to be done properly.
- Yield difference between ZT sown wheat and conventional cultivation of wheat needs proper recording.
- Diffusion of the large volume of the interventions is to be studied properly
- One success story on staggered nursery is to be prepared
- Quantification of 10 years weather data is required
- Quantification of cropping intensity is required
- Renovation of left-over NRM work may be completed
- Demonstration of boron deficiency may be initiated after GPS based soil sample analysis
- The report on the selected village i.e., Mehra is to be prepared and submitted.
- Selected villages are Bara and Gunghasa.
- Focus on climate resilience may be increased
- Appropriate data of crop production and rainfall are to be prepared
- Animal health camp report with appropriate data to be reported
- Implements under CHC is to prioritized as per the fund allocation
Â East Singhbhum
- Focus on climate resilience may be increased
- Renovation of left-over NRM work may be completed
- Success story on 5% model of irrigation is to be prepared
- Seed of Sabour Arthjal variety (5 kg) of rice may be sent to each KVK at University approved rate.
- Fund generated through convergence may be looked into properly.
- Appropriate data should be collected in livestock related interventions.
- Farmers share for NRM works should be taken consideration
- Presentation of climate related data and also the interventions may be improved.
- Reports should be on data basis
- Graph and average data on rainfall are required.
- Special efforts may be made for expansion of forest area
- The position of aquifer is to studied properly
- Success story on Palash cultivation and its impact is to be prepared
- JRO 204, JRO- 8432 varieties may be used in place of S-19 variety of jute demonstration
- Success story on effect of Crocodile bund is to be compiled
- Utilization of fund should be done properly
- Small implements like seed drill etc may be brought from CRIJAF/NIRJAFT
- Climate resilience of the interventions and design of experiment may be presented in detail.
- Women participation should be more in VCRMC
- Results of vaccination camps organized should be reported data basis
- Success stories on sprinkler irrigation provided in convergence mode to be prepared
- Existing village should be continued as adopted one and successful interventions may be outscaled in other villages
- Success stories may be written on Nadi Jal kund.
- Data on livestock interventions may be checked.
- Scientific analysis of data & impact assessment should focus on the climate change aspect.
Some of the General recommendation came out of the two days workshop which are mentioned as:
- One KVK member must be included in the VCRMC Bank account for transaction
- There may be around 20% member from women section in VCRMC Committee
- NRM activities may be assessed on long term basis at least for 10 years
- Revised copy of Action plan 2015-16 is to be submitted by 10th May 2015
- In absence of SRF contractual staff or daily paid labour may be engaged during full season on need basis
- There is a provision of Rs. 4.0 lakh to procure implements under CHC
- Recent variety of crops (not older than 10 years) to be taken for demonstration
- Extension activities or training programme to be conducted on climate related issues
- All KVKs prepared a project for NABARD for upscaleing of successful intervention
- All KVKs should have Water Level Meter (Approx cost Rs. 4000/-) to measure the ground water level
- All KVKs should have GPS facility (Approx cost Rs. 10000/-)
- Irrigation potential increasing trend through the construction of dam is to be studied
- One KVKs in each state may be provided with one STFR kit
- All the KVKs should prioritize their required equipments based on the budgetary provision.
- The titles of the training under NICRA should be innovative with thrust on climate resilience.
- For NRM activities Farmers share to be collected @ 10%
- Any intervention under NICRA to be addressed with climate â€“ cattle population to be related with supply of more organic manner which adds to increase in Carbon content of the soil
The workshop ends with vote of thanks proposed by Dr H. K. De